THE JOY OF SIMPLE THINGS

A few weeks back I joined the HRSC team on a trip to a school in Makindu. HRSC often has such projects to help the community across the year. For this particular one, we were going for the official opening of a borehole that had just been completed.

A pit stop on our way was the sacred and well-known Makindu Sikh Gurudwara where we spent the night. After a heavy breakfast, we travelled to the school, which is a couple hours drive away. 

Upon reaching the school, there was a welcome arranged for us by the students and teachers of the school. The students were unable to hide how happy they were to see us. It is not often that they get visitors from so far, and certainly not visitors who have improved their lives by building a borehole in their school. Their water problems were over and their smiles couldn’t hide how happy they were.

After the ceremony was over, a few kids hung around me asking questions and trying to befriend me. Little did they know that they had already won my heart from their pure gestures. They took me on a tour of the humble school. They showed me their classes. I could tell that these kids were sharp and they can really achieve great goals given the support.
Then the most weird statement surfaced from the group of young girls... “Give us something!”. I was confused, as I didn’t know what she meant. After a few moments, came a supportive follow up statement to make things clear. “Chocolate. Biscuit... Something”. I laughed and they also laughed. I told her that I had money to buy the chocolate, but their hopes wilted as they told me the nearest shop was on the highway about 6km away. 
Luckily I remembered that one of my friends had offered me a packet of bicscuits in the morning and I declined. I checked if he still had the packet. 
Upon receiving the biscuits the kids were overjoyed and that was probably the best moment of their entire day, heck week. 

I was surprised to see how happy they were to receive a simple packet of biscuits which we would buy for 20 bob without giving it much thought. 

When one is not exposed to lots of luxury in life, he/she learns to value the simple things. When one is not exposed to abundance, he/she tends to appreciate the value of simple things. It’s difficult to see the simple things and appreciate the value of every little thing that we come across in our daily life if we neglect their importance.

Being in this current global pandemic, I think Mother Nature has given us the opportunity to appreciate these simple things.

Let’s not waste food in temples or restaurants.
Let’s not oversee the fact that a small gesture can make someone’s day ....or even someone’s life.
Just like the Makindu Gurudwara is doing every single day - offering breakfast, lunch and dinner to anyone and everyone who walks into the peaceful abode of Sikh fundamentals.

Let’s use this ample time away from other engagements, to think about these small things.

- Nikhil Puranik

Comments

  1. Good initiative by HSS and well written article about your experience Nikhil.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

State and Society

My Tolerant and Accommodating Mother Kenya

EQUALITY